Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Asymmetrical Cabled Cardigan
A very short knitting project - this was was done quickly, using frogged yarn from a failed project using KnitPicks worsted weight yarn. The frogged yarn resembled ramen noodles, and it was twisted around while I was knitting; I didn't bother straightening it out very much after I unraveled, and so the texture of my finished product was not as smooth as I would have liked, even after a harsh blocking! I got the pattern for this cardi here. Minor modifications: I casted on 16 stitches less on the body than what the pattern called for so that I would have a tighter fit. I didn't change anything for the sleeves. My yarn wasn't stable enough to support button holes or a stand-up collar very well, so I cheated: I sewed the sweater closed so that I would have to pull the sweater up over my head in order to wear it. Doing so limits my ability to wear the sweater open in front, but since it's asymmetrical, it looks a little funny if you wear the cardigan open anyway. If I were to make this again, I would use a sturdier yarn so I can actually get usage out of my buttonholes, or find a better way to make buttonholes. I'm very happy that I now have a sweater that I can wear after normal sweater season is over, and I love having a project that didn't require me to make long sleeves! Sleeves, while functional things to have, are so so boring to knit! I needed a break.