Currently I am experimenting with different types of closures. I added buttonholes but I placed them too low so it's not the most figure flattering when I actually sewed them in. The upside is that I went to M & J Trim for the first time (For NYCers, it's on 6th Ave between 37th and 38th). Let's just say that it was both a blessing and a curse to find out about that store. The area was also more crowded than usual, as it was fashion week in Bryant Park, and there were a lot of photographers and people milling around the tents on 42nd street. Although I looked briefly, there were no celebrity sightings for me, not that I am good at that kind of stuff - I apparently bumped Cynthia Nixon (of Sex and the City) when she was blocking the doorway of my favorite housewares store about a month ago and didn't even notice. My more tactful other half pointed this out after he stopped laughing at me. In my defense, there was only one door, and she was talking to someone on the street for over a minute, which is an hour by NYC standards! I also didn't really bump her - I just ducked under her very skinny arm to get into the store, not shoved her out of the way as my boyfriend likes to gleefully suggest to others. Also, I was ultra focused on looking at a great art-deco pitcher that was displayed at the very back of the room. Just sayin...
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Starsky Is Done!
I started this sweater during one of the hottest days in July - I got the pattern off of knitty, after seeing so many beautifully crafted projects on ravelry. The pattern gave me a chance to learn some new techniques, including short rows, as well as perfect my seaming, which is not my strength! The pattern was not too hard to follow. The only problem I had was the collar, which I had to re-do twice, because the pattern didn't specify a number of stitches to pick up - the first time I didn't pick up enough, and my sweater turned out looking oddly shrunken. On my second try, I casted on 119 stitches on each side for a total of 238 for the ribbing. I may have been able to get away with doing a bit less, but I think it turned out OK. The only pattern modifications I made were to do the wraps every 4 rows, and to pick up the stitches for the sleeve instead of knitting them separately and sewing them in.